Not to be a downer, but I’ve had a really bad week. Last Friday through this Friday was probably the roughest week of my life. That’s all I’m going to say for now. I’ll fill you in someday. Until then, I’ll leave you (and myself!) with some good things that happened this week!
- Currie (2 years old) has successfully learned to race. She’s always been a runner, but she’s tactical now. She’s particularly interested in cutting people off and boxing them in if they are likely to beat her. I can see this helping her perform well in her college conference championships and also in the 2032 Olympics. (Heh…)
- We live 2 blocks from Starbucks and some combination of Jeff, Currie or I go there every day. When I walked in alone on Tuesday and ordered a pumpkin spice latte my barista asked, “where’s your Short Blonde?” I went into a long story about my mother-in-law being in town and all the reasons Currie was staying at home with her. I had to blush when I realized she was asking about my normal drink order… short blonde (veranda blend).
- My mother-in-law brought gifts, including an OSU shirt, some dark chocolate covered pretzels, and a pumpkin cookbook. She has also been complimenting all of my outfits and hairstyles. Flattery works, people!
- If you follow me on Twitter (@jenbigham) or know me IRL, you may know that I see deer on my trail runs almost daily and love to shout out “Go Bucks!” when I see a male deer. (Cheesy Ohio State humor, always funny to me!) Yesterday, I FINALLY got to share that cheesy joke with Jeff as it was happening. We ran past a buck and a doe together on the trail and I shouted “Go Buck(s)” about 7 times. I pretended Jeff was laughing along with me. You were, right honey?
- Trader Joes opened here in Rochester! When we moved here 3 years ago, one of the first things I did was email Trader Joes, asking them to come to town. I obviously have a lot of influence (ha) because they came! YES! I’ve been there 4 times in this first week. I had to stock up on grains, freezer goods, oils, and of course, Halloween Joe Joes.
- And finally, this isn’t exactly positive, but it’s something to laugh about. Jeff and I went out to dinner at Good Luck on Wednesday night and one of the specials was sweetbreads. Being the crazy-running-carb-lovers that we are, we eagerly ordered them, thinking cinnamon bread style goodness. Boy were we surprised when we (a couple who rarely eats meat) bit into the sweetbreads. We called the waitress over to say there must be some mistake, these weren’t sweet and they weren’t breads. “Oh yes” she said. “Sweetbreads are cow thymus gland.”
And with that, I’lll ask…
How was your week? Ever order something at a restaurant and find out later it was VERY different from what you expected? Tell me some good stuff about YOUR week! Any racing this weekend?!